Friday, August 22, 2008

Re-write

Have you ever been in a place in your story where you can see where are supposed to go-- looks easy enough--, you can see where you've been-- and it doesn't look bad--, but no matter what words your write the story fights you? Well round one went to the story this time. But I have my boxing gloves on and round two will be mine. I've restarted the current young adult (ya) story from a different point and it feels so much better.

At first I thought why does this matter? I mean, I did my "research" into the story, the history of the people, the world they reside in. So why did it matter? I guess an article I read (in a writing magazine published this month, don't remember which one) brought back to mind the notion that the conflict needs to be demonstrated in the first few pages to make the reader (and writer) want to know what happens next.

But now I have a dilemma... Do I start with the internal conflict or the external?

3 comments:

Lee Morrison said...

Oh my, I know what you mean!

Sometimes the story just writes itself, lol. I've always believed that's good though, or at least it has its good points.

Good luck with the battle.

Lee

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Darc, I would start with the external conflict first with great tension...the day life changed, then go internal.

Hugs, JJ

Donna Michaels said...

Darcien,

I agree with JJ. Usually, giving the reader a glimpse of the external conflict in the beginning is enough to hook them in and then you can keep them there with the internal one.

I'm so excited about this series!!

~Donna