Friday, January 2, 2009

Got Resolutions?



A few years ago a writing friend told me she writes her yearly goals in a piece of paper and puts them in a box on her desk. Then at the end of the year she pulls out the paper and studies her progress.


Last year I did that and here are my goals and results:


* Finish the novel. (I am really close)

* Get PRO pin. (once I finish the book, I can start down this path)

* Sell 6 Trues. (I sold 10)

* Get in shape. (well…)


I bought the pretty box in the photo for this year's goals. It caught my eye at a little gift shop and didn't cost much at all. I'm already regretting I didn't buy a few of them to use as gifts. I guess I could go back to the shop; it's about an hour away.


Anyway, here are my goals for 2009:


* Finish the novel for real. Close only counts in horseshoes.

* Get my PRO pin.

* Pitch the novel at the RWA conference in July.

* Write more Trues to help fund my way to said conference.

* Start another novel.

* Get in shape. Really.


Goals should be realistic and attainable, and I think mine meet that criteria. However, chapter 10 is being very stubborn at the moment and slowing my progress on the first goal. I just need to keep plugging away.


My sister gave me this paperweight for Christmas. She was my biggest cheerleader during NaNoWriMo. I think this will be my mantra for 2009 because the first novel sure was difficult and became easier as I went along.
Did you make resolutions for 2009? Set any goals for yourself?
P.S. I also made my first sale of 2009 today -- a short feature article to Writing for Dollars. It didn't pay a lot but it'll pay for more than half of my local RWA chapter dues.

No comments: