Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Extreme Hood Makeover!

Surprise! We redecorated!

Kathi suggested we revive the blog while she's recuperating from a foot mishap.

I just got home from vacation and am playing catch-up. I do have to meet with a client this afternoon. I do some freelance editing work and took a 145 page document on vacation with me since it's going to mean close to $100 in my pocket. The two hour delay in the airport yesterday was a blessing in one way because I got a LOT edited during that time.

As for my own writing... I'm not writing at the moment. It's not from lack of desire to write. It's because my brain just won't let it happen. I get an idea, I sit down to write and *poof*! I go blank.

Why, you ask? Since I posted last I've gone through a bitter divorce. It's hard to write about "happily ever after" when your own world has been turned upside down. And in addition to that, the magazine short story market I wrote for has all but dried up. Only two magazines remain out of the eight that were published when I started writing for them.

I wrote down a list of goals in January, and when I look at them now I have to laugh. What was I thinking????? The only one I've achieved is "Write two personal experience talks for the divorce recovery group." Oh yeah, I am now a facilitator for a divorce and grief recovery group. I benefitted so much from the group as a participant, so I decided to give back and become a facilitator. I still get a lot of healing from helping others work their way through the stages of grief. I'm not through them all yet, but I'm getting there.

My therapist (yeah, I know, who admits in public that they see a therapist?) says I'm too hard on myself and two years really isn't an unreasonable creative drought period considering all I went through. But that doesn't make it less frustrating. She tells me to cut myself some slack. She says I need to be kinder to myself.

So I'm going to take Reiki training, hopefully later this month, and learn to use Reiki on myself and anyone else who might benefit. I've had some Reiki sessions with a friend from church, who is a Reiki master, and they were magnificent! I'm trying not to get my hopes too high. But I'm optimistic this will be a great thing for my life.

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

marilyn! this is great. i love the new look. As a reiki master i can tell you that it will bring you healing on so many levels that you don't expect.

As for the writing. I have been in fog until recently. The poof you are experiencing describes it prefectly.
Maybe the planets have finally shifted, but this week has been my most productive in ages.

let's keep this alive!
kathi